Geminize, a Firefox addon for the Gemini Protocol

From: louis at waffle.tech

Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2021 20:58:45 +0000

Hi!

I wrote a Firefox addon for enabling the Gemini protocol. It's dead simple: it just redirects gemini:// URLs & links to a HTTP-to-Gemini proxy (similar to OverbiteWX for Gopher). By default it uses one of the two public proxies, but it can be configured to use a custom one.

You can find it here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/geminize

Louis

--------

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer

Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2021 08:44:08 +0100

On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 08:58:45PM +0000,

louis at waffle.tech <louis at waffle.tech> wrote

a message of 6 lines which said:

> I wrote a Firefox addon for enabling the Gemini protocol. It's dead

> simple: it just redirects gemini:// URLs & links to a HTTP-to-Gemini

> proxy

No "native" Gemini add-on for Firefox? I don't find one in

<gemini://gemini.circumlunar.space/software/> at the "Browser plugins"

entry [side note: for this sort of things, fragments in URI

<gemini://gemini.bortzmeyer.org/gemini/fragment.gmi> could be

useful]. But I do not see yours either, I assume this list is

maintained with some delay.

--------

From: Waweic

Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2021 10:55:54 GMT

You simply can't write a "native" Gemini add-on. Mozillas dweb project

(which would have enabled you to build protocols other than http into

the browser as an add-on) is dead in the water, everybody who had been

working on it does not work at Mozilla anymore and the bug tracker

status is like "we aren't really interested, maybe, if you write it

yourself, we might accept it into the Firefox codebase".

Only upside is that Chromium does not do much better.

--------

From: Petite Abeille

Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2021 12:30:19 +0100

> On Jan 15, 2021, at 11:55, Waweic <waweic at activ.ism.rocks> wrote:

> Only upside is that Chromium does not do much better.

Where is the upside?

? ???

-------------- next part --------------

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

-------------- next part --------------

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...

Name: nq050505.gif

Type: image/gif

Size: 17633 bytes

Desc: not available

--------

From: Andre Garzia

Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2021 03:23:46 +0000

Waveic,

That depends on how you define native. If you ship an add-on that uses

"native messaging"[1] to talk to a companion app (such as a console python

script), then you can have the companion app do the gemini protocol dance

and send the data back to Firefox.

What sucks is that you can't have the add-on install the native companion

app for obvious security reasons, but if you can convince your user to run

an installer, then it is all very easy. When I was developing some SSB

add-on toys for Firefox, I initially used this approach and it worked fine.

Later I started using WebSockets to talk to the SSB server instead which

was much easier for the user. Still, using native messaging works, and it

works across platforms and across browsers. Oh, an in the subject of

add-ons, I vaguelly remember something about Brave is exposing sockets to

add-on developers, you might want to check it out.

I'm sad about libdweb as well. I was one of the contributors. It had so

much potential, Mozilla totally dropped the ball.

[1] Native Messaging:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Add-ons/WebExtensions/Native_messaging

--

https://www.andregarzia.com <http://www.andregarzia.com>

Want to support me? Buy me a coffee at https://ko-fi.com/andregarzia

From: John Cowan

Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2021 17:57:21 -0500

On Mon, Jan 18, 2021 at 10:24 PM Andre Garzia <andre at andregarzia.com> wrote:

> That depends on how you define native. If you ship an add-on that uses

> "native messaging"[1] to talk to a companion app (such as a console python

> script), then you can have the companion app do the gemini protocol dance

> and send the data back to Firefox.

How would that be different from a regular Gemini-to-Web proxy that runs

locally?

From: Andre Garzia

Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2021 15:46:00 +0000

John,

That would be different in the sense that you'd have more access to the

browser features for integration purposes. For example, you could intercept

"gemini://" URLs, you could (provide an) override to the "new tab" page to

list gemini aggregators, you could add a bookmarking system. You could

inspect <meta> tags on a page to see if they have a "gemini url" declared

and provide a page action to read using "gemini" instead. There are many

things you can do with an add-on that you can't do with a local webservice.

Best