[users] Simple Gemini server for testing in the current directory?

Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2021 22:56:40 -0800

One thing that I like about HTTP is that there are oodles of ways to spin up a simple server for testing on localhost. Things like `python3 -m http.server` and `caddy run` are what I'm thinking of. Since this is Gemini and not bare-bones HTTP, It'd have to handle key generation.

Is there a server like that yet for Gemini that runs on macOS?

--------

From: Omar Polo

Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2021 10:02:10 +0100

> One thing that I like about HTTP is that there are oodles of ways to spin up a simple server for testing on localhost. Things like `python3 -m http.server` and `caddy run` are what I'm thinking of. Since this is Gemini and not bare-bones HTTP, It'd have to handle key generation.

> Is there a server like that yet for Gemini that runs on macOS?

I'm writing a server that almost fit in that description, I was thinking

to share it with the list when I'll finish the vhost and configuration

stuff I was working on, but anyway.

It's called gmid[0][1]. It doesn't (yet) handle the creation of keys,

but you can easily generate a cert and store, say, in you home and

you're done. Once you've built it, you can serve any directory with

`gmid -c cert.pem -k key.pem -d dir` [2]. Ctrl-c when you're done :)

(I'm also using it to serve my capsule)

It's written in C, sandboxed by default (from the next version) on

OpenBSD, FreeBSD and linux, and with LibreSSL/libretls as only

dependency. You'll also need lex and yacc/bison to build. I don't have

a mac, but I don't see why it shouldn't run fine there.

Cheers,

Omar Polo

[0]: https://github.com/omar-polo/gmid

[1]: gemini://gemini.omarpolo.com/pages/gmid.gmi

[2]: this on the last stable (v1.4.1), I've changed -c to -C and -k to

-K in the master when adding the config (-c)

--------

From: Michael Lazar

Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2021 08:52:45 -0500

> One thing that I like about HTTP is that there are oodles of ways to spin up a simple server for testing on localhost. Things like `python3 -m http.server` and `caddy run` are what I'm thinking of. Since this is Gemini and not bare-bones HTTP, It'd have to handle key generation.

> Is there a server like that yet for Gemini that runs on macOS?

Hi,

Jetforce was somewhat designed to fill that niche [0]. It has

automatic certificate generation and no config file to mess around

with.

python3 -m pip install jetforce

python3 -m jetforce --dir .

[0] https://github.com/michael-lazar/jetforce

--------

From: Gary Johnson

Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2021 15:13:54 -0500

> One thing that I like about HTTP is that there are oodles of ways to spin up a simple server for testing on localhost. Things like `python3 -m http.server` and `caddy run` are what I'm thinking of. Since this is Gemini and not bare-bones HTTP, It'd have to handle key generation.

> Is there a server like that yet for Gemini that runs on macOS?

If you are a Lispnik, feel free to check out Space Age (The Clojurian's

Gemini Server):

https://gitlab.com/lambdatronic/space-age

Since Clojure compiles to Java bytecode, it's fully cross-platform. You

just need to install a recent JDK and the Clojure command line tool. Key

generation is handled with a single command, which is documented in the

project's README.

You can then launch Space Age with the following command:

$ clojure -M:run-server .

That will serve up the current directory and anything within it on port

1965. To serve up a different directory, just replace "." with the

directory path.

Uniquely among Gemini servers, Space Age provides a form of server-side

application programming modeled after Clojure's de facto web programming

standard, Ring, but further simplified for Geminispace.

Essentially, dynamic routes can be programmed as simple functions that

take a request map and return a response map. All you have to do is add

a *.clj file anywhere under your document root (or under a user's

/home/username/public_gemini directory), make it executable, and define

a main function within it that will be called whenever that page is

requested by a Gemini client.

So rather than messing with environment variables and printing to

stdout, you can just write pure functions that take and receive data.

Fun times for functional programmers of all ages!

(happy :hacking)

Gary

--

GPG Key ID: 7BC158ED

Use `gpg --search-keys lambdatronic' to find me

Protect yourself from surveillance: https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org

Why is HTML email a security nightmare? See https://useplaintext.email/

Please avoid sending me MS-Office attachments.

--------

From: Rohan Kumar

Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2021 12:24:00 -0800

Personally, I test locally with agate, since I can easily run it with

flags and no config files:

https://github.com/mbrubeck/agate

I used to run it on my server as well, but I switch to gmnisrv for the

better logging.

As a bonus, you can build both as statically-linked binaries.

IDK how good macOS support is for either of them.

--

/Seirdy

-------------- next part --------------

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...

Name: signature.asc

Type: application/pgp-signature

Size: 898 bytes

Desc: not available

--------

From: Sean Conner

Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2021 16:09:45 -0500

It was thus said that the Great Gary Johnson once stated:

> Uniquely among Gemini servers, Space Age provides a form of server-side

> application programming modeled after Clojure's de facto web programming

> standard, Ring, but further simplified for Geminispace.

> Essentially, dynamic routes can be programmed as simple functions that

> take a request map and return a response map. All you have to do is add

> a *.clj file anywhere under your document root (or under a user's

> /home/username/public_gemini directory), make it executable, and define

> a main function within it that will be called whenever that page is

> requested by a Gemini client.

I wouldn't say it's unique, just rare. GLV-1.12556 [1] is also easy to expand

but instead of looking for executable scripts [2], it uses Lua's module

system. These modules [3] used to return the data as Space-Age, but I

switched to a streaming model to save memory usage [4].

-spc

[1] https://github.com/spc476/GLV-1.12556

[2] With GLV-1.12556, executable scripts are treated as CGI scripts.

[3] And it's *all* modules---even serving up files from a directory is

done using this mechanism.

[4] Some resources served up by my server can be quite large.

--------

From: Gary Johnson

Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2021 18:31:13 -0500

Sean Conner <sean at conman.org> writes:

> I wouldn't say it's unique, just rare. GLV-1.12556 [1] is also easy to expand

> but instead of looking for executable scripts [2], it uses Lua's module

> system. These modules [3] used to return the data as Space-Age, but I

> switched to a streaming model to save memory usage [4].

> -spc

> [1] https://github.com/spc476/GLV-1.12556

> [2] With GLV-1.12556, executable scripts are treated as CGI scripts.

> [3] And it's *all* modules---even serving up files from a directory is

> done using this mechanism.

> [4] Some resources served up by my server can be quite large.

Thanks for the tip, Sean. I hadn't realized you had also used a

functional programming model for your Lua CGI scripts.

Always something new to learn,

Gary

From: Ben Goldberg

Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2021 14:59:25 -0500

My stargazer[1] has an option for this. If you run `stargazer -d` it'll

server files out of the current directory and do file listing. It

auto-generates certs and sticks them in `~/.local/share/stargazer`. Hope

that helps ?.

[1] gemini://benaaron.dev/stargazer.gmi

--------

-- Response ended

-- Page fetched on Sun Jun 2 04:15:32 2024