From: Winston <wbe@UBEBLOCK.psr.com.invalid>

Subject: Re: Initial thoughts

Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2021 13:21:51 -0500

Message content

2 of 2 I'm reposting. I explained why in the other reposted article.

I previously posted:

> Note: I've only just read the FAQ. I have not read the protocol spec.

> As partially noted in the FAQ, many of the privacy and annoyance issues

> Geminii seeks to address, including popups, are caused by scripts

> (mainly Javascript, but other scripts are allowed and supported) and

> cookies. Geminii addresses these by not supporting scripts or cookies.

> "No scripts" fixes pretty much all the annoyances.

> Geminii does not support CSS or style. Given modern CSS's media query

> capabilities, not supporting CSS helps protect privacy (such as device

> property identification, which can be accomplished via CSS style in

> several different ways).

> I see that Geminii also does not allow file inclusions, so images,

> iframe content, and the like aren't available. That stops web bugs.

> There are, however, other methods for tracking, and I can't tell whether

> Geminii addresses them.

> 1) Link click tracking.

> Suppose you have a page of links, and the site that served that page

> wishes to track which link you clicked. [In the case of Google, for

> example, my impression is that they use the information about which

> one you chose to improve search result order, moving the more popular

> choices up in the search results.]

> The typical method of doing that is what I'll call a URL redirect.

> Let's say host H1 served a page of links L1, L2, L3, ... Tracking

> by H1 might be accomplished by using local links of the form:

> /url?q=L1&searchquery=queryID&youclicked=L1

> /url?q=L2&searchquery=queryID&youclicked=L2

> When you click on the link, the request goes to H1 which collects the

> tracking info and redirects the client to L1, L2, ... -- a redirect

> that is mostly invisible to the client, so it looks like you went

> directly to the link (e.g., L1).

> If Geminii allows full URI spec URLs, then '&'s are allowed and

> there's nothing that would prevent this kind of tracking.

> 2) Misleading link labels.

> One of my peeves with HTML is the ability to specify things like

> [my ISP doesn't allow HTML tags, so I'm using [] instead of <>]

> [a href=link1] Unrelated link2 [/a]

> where the text label doesn't match the link and can be arbitrarily

> misleading. Phishers love this. I see that Geminii allows links and

> labels. Always displaying the link URL would help, but not everyone

> is going to take the time to examine the URLs, so:

> Could a URL such as [I don't know Geminii link format, so I'm using

> label; link here]

> Wells Fargo login; https://www.wellsfargo.com.login.scammer.scam/...

> (a method used by some scammers, where they put the name you expect

> at the beginning of a long domain name, counting on the reader not

> noticing that the URL continues with '.', not '/') work in a Geminii

> document to mislead the reader?

> 3) Does the geminii: network protocol support the "Host: name" header?

> The "Host: name" header is used to support multiple virtual hosts

> [...]

I think I've now seen articles in this newsgroup indicating that it

does, so you only need to answer #3 if the answer is No.

Just some initial thoughts,

-WBE

Related

Parent:

Initial thoughts (by Winston <wbe@UBEBLOCK.psr.com.invalid> on Tue, 26 Oct 2021 19:32:55 -0400)

Start of thread:

FAQ: Project Gemini (by Jason Evans <jsevans@mailfence.com> on Tue, 26 Oct 2021 19:37:07 -0000 (UTC))

-- Response ended

-- Page fetched on Sat Jun 15 11:08:29 2024