From: Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid>

Subject: Re: Gemini client for legacy systems.

Date: 12 Dec 2022 11:51:01 +1000

Message content

Pepinno The Great <pepinno@thinkpad.naleco.com.nospam> wrote:

> Computer Nerd Kev <not@telling.you.invalid> wrote:

>>Pepinno The Great <pepinno@thinkpad.naleco.com.nospam> wrote:

>>> What kind of retro protocol is that which cannot be run on retro

>>> machines? Gemini can get a ride, for all I care.

>>Technically TLS 1.2 or higher doesn't rule out a 486, just Debian

>>2.2 Potato (and even then you might be able to compile recent

>>OpenSSL libraries for that yourself with a bit of work). A 486 can

>>still run current Linux kernel releases, and with a bit of work you

> I'm not interested on the contortions of running a current Linux kernel

> on a vintage machine, but I'm interested on retro-computing which

> implies using period-correct software with old hardware.

Gemini didn't exist when Debian 2.2 Potato was released, so that

rules it out with your period-correct software requirement before

we even get to TLS anyway.

>>Really though, I don't think Gemini is supposed to be a "retro

>>protocol", meerly a modern-day alternative to the current WWW.

> A modern day alternative to the current WWW already exists: just disable

> JavaScript on your web browser and you get exactly that. Just consider

> web pages that work in that state "the alternative web", and pages that

> don't work in that state "the bloated web".

> Ain't no need of a new protocol to get that "alternative WWW".

> I hope the Gemini project finds a way to accommodate for retro machines.

If in your case that means changing Gemini into something compatible

with period-correct software (such as a sub-set of HTTP), I think

that's rather a bizarre hope at this late stage. Just use a

Gemini-HTTP proxy website for browsing and stick your own content

on Gopher or HTTP instead.

--

__ __

Related

Parent:

Re: Gemini client for legacy systems. (by pepinno@thinkpad.naleco.com.NOSPAM (Pepinno The Great) on Mon, 12 Dec 2022 00:22:56 +0100)

Start of thread:

Gemini client for legacy systems. (by Anthk <anthk@disroot.org> on Mon, 10 Oct 2022 21:05:43 -0000 (UTC))

-- Response ended

-- Page fetched on Sat Jun 1 13:45:58 2024