From: -fab- <fab@foobucket.xyz>

Subject: Re: How do you access this newsgroup?

Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2022 02:23:05 +0100

Message content

--scdid6xtwtqyowfz

This is my first post to this newsgroup, so:

Hello, fellow geminauts!

Rob S <jsreed5@protonmail.com> [2022-01-08 04:23 CET]:

> Do you use a paid Usenet account, a free account on a site like Eternal

> September, or an open service such as Aioe? What newsgroup reader do you

> use?

The Usenet thing is completely new to me. I've never used it before. I was

on news.aioe.org, but I was banned for 24 hours, because my connection

time exceeded 86400 seconds?! I'm not sure what happened, but I surely

wasn't on that server for 24 hours. Maybe it was my neomutt setup. Don't

know.

So now I'm on eternal-september.org with neomutt as my nntp client,

because I also use it as my email client.

It was a bit difficult to set up, but after getting the bits and pieces

together, it works. I thought a mailing list would be better, but after

using usenet for a day, I really like newsgroups more. No need to sort

the mail into folders and things like that. Simply subscribe to a=20

newsgroup and you are ready.

> If new or prospective Gemini users wanted to join the group, how would you

> recommend they do it?

Due to my lack of experience with Usenet, I really can't give a final

recommendation. But I would say Thunderbird is a good solution for new

users, because it's already widely used as an email client.

As a server I would recommend AIOE or eternal-september.org. You COULD

buy access to commercial newsservers, but as a new user who just wants

to read comp.infosystems.gemini to begin with, this isn't neccessary I

think.

> Rob S

Best wishes,

-fab-

--=20

Email: -fab- <fab@foobucket.xyz>

WWW: https://foobucket.xyz

Gemini: gemini://foobucket.xyz/

GPG Key: 33E6849C6755639E52EBF3A2A931E756F41ACB7F

--scdid6xtwtqyowfz

--scdid6xtwtqyowfz--

Related

Parent:

How do you access this newsgroup? (by Rob S <jsreed5@protonmail.com> on Fri, 7 Jan 2022 21:23:00 -0600)

-- Response ended

-- Page fetched on Fri Jun 14 17:32:09 2024