From: rtr <rtr@nospam.invalid>

Subject: Re: Gemini is no social network

Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 17:48:48 +0800

Message content

On Thu, 18 Nov 2021 22:40:59 +0100

David <david@arch.invalid> wrote:

> Gemini is a read-only protocol for hyperlinked content distribution,

> as Drew DeVault put it recently. Referring to other people's posts

> via one's own posts does not make it a social network. That's just

> one-way-linked Gemini space. There are no backlinks, except for

> resorting to querying the index of a search engine, maybe.

> Also the idea of compiling multiple Gemini texts into an EPUB archive

> for later offline consumption very nicely fits to the conception of

> Gemini's read-only nature.

> Thanks for sharing those thoughts!

> gemini://text.eapl.mx/quick-experiment-antenna-to-epub

> gemini://drewdevault.com/2021/11/15/Reframing-gemini.gmi

I think it's a vestige of a prior system that we're used to and it

would take a while before we will be able to come up with a truly

"gemini way" of doing things.

I do agree that gemini should be a "read-only" protocol with

discussions happening in either email or newsgroups. Such as what we're

doing right now. This outlook adheres to the UNIX philosophy and is,

for sure, what solderpunk et al. thought of when designing the protocol.

Gemini being a text-only protocol do make it easy to be packaged in

different forms such as that of an e-reader which makes it even more

interesting.

Related

Parent:

Gemini is no social network (by David <david@arch.invalid> on Thu, 18 Nov 2021 22:40:59 +0100)

Children:

Re: Gemini is no social network (by Stephane Tougard <stephane@unices.org> on Tue, 30 Nov 2021 16:17:01 +0100)

-- Response ended

-- Page fetched on Sat Jun 1 13:39:01 2024